Friday, September 19, 2008

Baptismal Layette



In 2005, Paul and I had the privilege of volunteering for World Youth Day held in Cologne, Germany. It was certainly an experience of a lifetime and out of it grew very special friendships. One of those was with Vince & Silvia who live in Parma, Italy. Since 2005, they have visited Texas and we toured Italy with them. Just after our last visit in the fall of 2007, they found out they were expecting a baby.
I wanted to make something very special for little Giulia (Julia). Something that would become a family heirloom and would forever remind her mom and dad of the experiences we shared at WYD2005.
Here it is! A baptism ensemble complete with gown, coat, bonnet, blanket, and pillow.

All pieces are made of cotton batiste adorned with beautiful Venetian lace and finished off with machine embroidery in a very dainty heart and leaf vine pattern. The gown yoke has tiny pin tucks overlaid with embroidery and the bottom has tucks just above the lace edging. It was certainly a labor of love, but finishing it filled me with excitement thinking of her baptism and being able to follow her as she grows up. I used Vogue Pattern 2675 which was probably the most intricate project I have undertaken, but I loved it.

My friend Jody Horton took the pictures for me in his studio. Thanks Jody for all your hard work on these.

No comments: